"The Corresponding Secretary shall have charge of the correspondence, notify members of meetings, notify new members of their election to membership, notify officers and Directors of their election to office, and carry out such duties as are prescribed in these by-laws."
ARTICLE II, Section 1
"Annual Meeting. The annual meeting of the Club shall be in the month of October in conjunction with the Club's Specialty Show if possible, at a place, date and hour designated by the Board of Directors. Written notice of the annual meeting shall be mailed by the Corresponding Secretary to each member at least 30 days prior to the date of the meeting. If notice of the meeting is to be contained in The Bagpiper, that publication must be sent by first class mail. "
ARTICLE II, Section 2
"Special Club Meetings. Special Club meetings...shall be called by the Corresponding Secretary upon a receipt of a petition signed by 10% of the members of the Club who are in good standing. Written notice of such meeting shall be mailed by the Corresponding Secretary at least 14 days and not more than 30 days prior to the meeting..."
ARTICLE II, Section 3
"Board Meetings. The first meeting of the Board shall be held immediately following the annual meeting and election. Other meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held at such times and places as are designated by the President or by a majority vote of the entire Board. Written notice of each such meeting shall be mailed by the Corresponding Secretary to each member of the Board at least 14 days prior to the date of the meeting..."
ARTICLE III, Section 2(f)
"...except applications for show dates, judges, etc., which shall properly fall into the province of the Corresponding Secretary..."
[Note: The application to the AKC for the STCA shows and STCA Sweepstakes is moved from the duties of the Corresponding secretary to the duties of the Vice President. (Motion passed 3/14/02)]
Page 2 SOP
DUTIES OF THE CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
SECTION B: GENERAL
1. The Secretary will maintain an accurate record of all correspondence received and answered with dates and names noted as well as the subject of the correspondence. This record should include all mailings as well as pertinent electronic and faxed communications. This record will be part of the Secretary's report to all the Board members covering the applicable period for each meeting.
2. The Secretary will keep the President and the Board informed of all pertinent letters received pertaining to the STCA welfare. Correspondence will be answered promptly with copies of all official letters sent to the President.
3. The Secretary will forward all requests for STCA Membership Applications to the Membership Chairperson for processing.
4. The Secretary will forward all requests for information on the Scottish Terrier and /or STCA breeder contacts to the Public Information/Breeder Referral Chairperson.
5. The Secretary will maintain names, addresses, and email addresses for the Board members along with home, cell and business phone numbers and FAX numbers if available.
6. The Secretary will notify the American Kennel Club of any changes resulting from the election and/or appointment of new officers. This should occur immediately following the changes. The Secretary will also communicate with the AKC to update the Breed Flyer that is sent by the AKC to all newly registered Scottish Terriers.
7. All checks and payments received by the Secretary will be logged and forwarded to the STCA Treasurer on a monthly basis with all pertinent information recorded on the STCA Income Voucher.
8.. Expenses incurred by the Corresponding Secretary will be logged and recorded on the STCA Expense Voucher. Original receipts will be included with the Expense voucher and mailed to the STCA Treasurer on a monthly basis.
9. The Secretary shall not furnish mailing labels or membership lists to any party without Board approval.
10. The Secretary will maintain and forward copies of all applications, nominations and other submissions from the Membership to the appropriate committee chairs or to the Board for a vote.
11. The Secretary will review this SOP and update it as needed before the end of his/her term in office and will submit it to the Board for approval.
Page 3 SOP
SECTION C: MEETING NOTIFICATIONS
1. Written notice of the date, time and place of the Annual Meeting will be mailed to the entire STCA membership at least 30 days prior to the date of the meeting. If notice of the meeting is to be contained in The Bagpiper, that publication must be sent by first class mail.
2. Notification of meetings and conference calls will be sent to all Board members when determined by the Board and/or called by the President.
3. Special Club Meetings will be handled per Bylaws Article II, Section 2
SECTION D: NEW MEMBERS
1. Upon approval of new member applicants by 2/3 vote of the Board, the Secretary will mail by First Class postage the following materials in the New Member Packets [Appendix]:
• Letter of welcome
• The current STCA Handbook
• The Illustrated Guide to the Scottish Terrier
• One STCA decal per person
• A current STCA Membership Roster
• The STCA Breeder Referral List Request
2. The Corresponding Secretary will write a letter to any new member applicant(s) who did not receive the necessary 2/3 vote of the Board and will explain the re- application options available. The Secretary will also write the sponsors of this applicant who was not approved. [Appendix]
3. The Secretary will write all newly approved STCA Honorary Members, congratulating them on their new membership status and advising them of the rules of Honorary Membership. [Appendix]
SECTION E: COMMITTEE CHAIRS AND MEMBERS
1. The Corresponding Secretary will inform in writing all selected committee chairpersons and committee members of their appointment. Included with this letter will be the guidelines (SOP) for this committee, agreement of fiscal responsibility for committees that have income or expenses, an estimated yearly budget, an STCA Expense and Income voucher, and an acceptance to be signed and returned to the Corresponding Secretary. This is to be done immediately after the meeting following the Annual Dinner Meeting. [Appendix]
2. The Corresponding Secretary will contact the Committee Chairpersons and Board Liaisons six weeks prior to each STCA Board meeting requesting a written report to be submitted by a specified deadline. These reports may be sent electronically to the Secretary for distribution to the Board members. [Appendix]
3. All Committee Chairs sending a written report (to the Board) will be sent a thank you letter for continued services to the STCA. (passed Rotating 2004) [Appendix]
4. All Committee Chairs whose terms are completed will be sent a letter of appreciation for their services to the STCA. [Appendix]
SECTION F: NOMINATING COMMITTEE
1. Immediately following the winter meeting of the Board, the Corresponding Secretary will contact by telephone the members of the Nominating Committee as determined by the vote of the Board. Written confirmation, a Committee Acceptance to sign and return, and a copy of the SOP for the committee will be sent to all nomination committee members. [Appendix] The STCA President is to be notified of committee member acceptance.
2. The Secretary shall forward copies of all submitted Petitions for Service on the STCA Board to the Nominating Committee Chairman.
SECTION G: NATIONAL SPECIALTY JUDGES
1. The Secretary will maintain a list of nominated National Specialty Judges submitted each year by the Membership and will provide the list to the Board for the vote.
2. The Corresponding Secretary will write to selected judges inviting them to judge the Specialty. The invitation is to include a copy of Judges/Sweepstakes Judge's Contract to complete and return to the Corresponding Secretary. The original is to be retained by the Corresponding Secretary and copies sent to the Vice President/Show Chairman and/or Show Secretary. [Appendix]
SECTION H: REGIONAL CLUBS
1. Immediately following the winter meeting of the Board, the Corresponding Secretary will notify the regional clubs in the appropriate rotation region to determine if a club is interested in hosting the rotating specialty.
2. The notification letter will include the SOP for hosting a National Rotating Specialty show and the responsibilities of the Regional club. [Appendix]
3. Regional clubs shall obtain written permission to hold their specialty from the STCA through the Corresponding Secretary [Appendix], and Bred By Medallions will not be sent to the club until the regional club receives STCA permission to hold the specialty. (Motion passed 3/14/02). If the requested date is already taken by the previous request of another regional club, the Board has the responsibility to delay approval until conflicting dates can be resolved. Regional clubs must send a copy of their STCA approval along with their AKC show application. The Secretary will keep a record of all clubs receiving approval. The STCA may grant a blanket 2-year approval with the AKC for all club shows. This approval will be in effect unless a club changes the date of the show, in which case STCA approval must be requested in a letter from the club.
4. The Corresponding Secretary will have the responsibility of maintaining and distributing the STCA Medallions, keeping a record of all medallions sent to the clubs 6-8 weeks before the scheduled specialty.
5. Regarding internal conflict within a Regional Club, the following Board policy will generally be communicated to the parties involved:
The STCA Board has reviewed the correspondence received from (name of Regional Club) and has determined it is not within our authority to rule on the matters addressed. We suggest that a solution be approached through use of the legal vehicles provided within the Constitution and By-Laws of your Regional Cub, or through application of approved policies such as contained in standard operating procedures.
SECTION I: SALES OF STCA MATERIALS
1. The Corresponding Secretary is responsible for selling STCA materials as listed on the STCA Web Site and in the Bagpiper.
2. STCA logo pins and decals may be purchased by STCA members only.
3. The Secretary will keep a supply of the following materials to fulfill orders of member-only merchandise and new member packets:
• STCA Handbooks
• Illustrated Guide to the Scottish Terrier
• STCA Rosters
• STCA Decals
• STCA Pins
4. Prices charged for Items available from the STCA are to be updated as shown on the STCA Web Site and as published in the Bagpiper.
5. All materials are to be mailed First Class
6. The Corresponding secretary is responsible for supplying STCA items for sale at both Montgomery County and Rotating. (Motion passed 3/14/02)
[CD of all templates, forms and Log to accompany the SOP as referenced]
SOP CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
C. AGREEMENT OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
This agreement should be sent as an attachment with the agreement of acceptance of committee chair/co-chair for any STCA committee and officers that have income or expenses. (See 10.)
AGREEMENT OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY
By signing the agreement to chair or co-chair a committee you also understand and agree to follow these policies of fiscal responsibility:
1. There are very few income-producing committees to raise revenues to fund the many activities of STCA Chairpersons of these committees should be aware of their great importance to the Club.
2. The chair/co-chair will be given a budget as established for that committee and it is the responsibility of the chair/co-chair to carefully adhere to the budget.
3. If other members of the committee will be incurring expenses, it is the responsibility of the chair to inform them of the budget, including what is reimbursable.
4. Reimbursable expenses on committee budgets may include printing (flyers, tickets, letters), postage, one-half the cost of phone calls, plus specific items unique to that committee, (ie. trophies).
5. Printed materials such as tickets, flyers, booklets, stationary and envelopes, along with postage make up a large portion of most budgets.
6. Receipts for all allowable expenses must be retained to submit for reimbursement by the Treasurer and a record of all expenses will be kept by the chair to include in their report.
7. Payment will not be reimbursed beyond the budgeted amounts.
8. Should it appear that the predicted expenses may go over the amount allowed in the budget, the chair will need to get approval from the STCA Board before incurring such expenses.
9. If money is taken in as a part of this committee, checks and monies are to be forwarded to the Treasurer at least once a month. Include an income voucher listing all monies enclosed and retain a copy for your record to prepare your report. (i.e. Trophy, Advertising)
10. Each Chair will prepare and submit a full financial statement at the end of the activity or event, including all income and all expenses. A complete financial statement is to be presented to the Treasurer, the President and to the National Show Chairman, if applicable.
11. The Chair may wish to set up a system of payment vouchers with the Treasurer. Committee members with receipts for reimbursement should turn them over to the chair, who will check against the budget, record for inclusion in the Financial Report statement, verify the approved amount by signing the voucher for approval of payment and forward the voucher to the Treasurer for reimbursement.
SOP CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
STCA CORRESPONDING SECRETARY SOP
MONTGOMERY MEETING-Post Meeting
1. Notify AKC of results of Election. Make sure AKC website is updated with all changes in officers, breeder referral and rescue contacts. Update AKC Breed Flier that is sent to newly registered Scotties.
2. Write thank you for service letters to all retiring Board members, committee chairs and members, HTF Trustees and Rescue Trustees.
3. Write welcome letters to newly appointed and elected Board members, Committee chairs and members, HTF Trustees and Rescue Trustees. Enclose SOP for position, a statement of fiscal responsibility, a Contract of Agreement to be signed and returned, an Expense and Income Voucher, and an estimated yearly budget when available.
4. Write notes to all Committee Chairs who are continuing in their positions to thank them for their on-going service to the STCA.
5. Write all letters resulting from the Board meetings at MCKC.
6. Organize the list of new Board members and make new name badges as needed. Provide all members with the list of Board contacts.
7. Mail Crufts Certificates and letters to all winners of the MCKC National Specialty. (NOTE: Same procedure for AKC Eukanuba winners).
WINTER MEETING- Preparation
1. Send notification and receive all Reports from Board members, Committee Chairs and Liaisons. Forward all to the Board.
2. Prepare a list of all National Specialty Judge Nominations from received from Members.
3. Provide for the Board a list of prior and future National Specialty Judges.
4. Prepare a list of Nominating Committee applications received from members.
5. Provide a list of prior Nominating Committees for at least 10 years and the SOP for Selection of the Committee.
WINTER MEETING- Post meeting
1. Write all letters resulting from business of Board meeting.
2. Write the 5 Regional clubs next in line for Rotating. Section H.
3. Contact all judges on the list for information about fees and availability for National Specialty assignments.
4. Contact the Nominating Committee members selected by the Board. See Section F in SOP.
ROTATING MEETING- Preparation
1. Send notification and receive all Reports from Board members, Committee Chairs and Liaisons. Forward all to Board.
2. Prepare National Specialty Judge information for the Board vote.
SOP CORRESPONDING SECRETARY
ROTATING MEETING- Post Meeting
1. Write all letters resulting from business of Board meeting.
2. Write to selected judges inviting them to judge the Specialty. See Section G (2)
MONTGOMERY MEETING- Preparation
1. At least 30 days before the Annual Meeting USPS mail post cards to all bulk Bagpiper subscribers announcing the time date and location.
2. Submit Annual Meeting notice to Bagpiper #2 and #3.
3. Notify members of Bagpiper Cover drawings, deadline September 15.
4. Send notification and receive all Reports from Board members, Committee Chairs and Liaisons. Forward all to Board.
Send packets to all new STCA members. See Section D in SOP
1. Check calendar of scheduled Regional Club Specialties and send Bred By Exhibitor medallions at least 6 weeks before the date of the show.
2. Send Expense Voucher with receipts and any income received with an Income Voucher to Treasurer.
1. Forward all communications to the Board and reply in a timely manner.
2. Check the SHOPPE orders for merchandise to be sent by Secretary.
3. Enter all activity in the Log and record all expenses and any income received.
Approved October 2, 2013
Copyright 2017 Scottish Terrier Club of America. Information and images may not be reproduced or used without prior authorization from the STCA.