"Trustees shall elect by majority vote one of their members to serve as Chairman and Secretary. Such Chairman and Secretary shall serve for terms of one (1) year or until their successors are elected and agree to serve. The Chairman shall preside at all meetings or conferences of the Trustees, but shall not be disabled from voting by virtue thereof... " (Page 4, Trust Document)
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE CHAIRPERSON
1. Oversee the business of the Trust.
2. Call meetings to order and preside over meetings.
3. Co-sign checks, along with the Trust Treasurer.
4. Execute documents required for Health Trust Fund grants and projects.
5. Conduct sufficient meetings each year to keep the Health Trust Fund aware of any new business, be it research, raffles, other fund-raisers, publicity, etc.
6. Send an agenda to each member and the President of the STCA so that members can come prepared for each meeting and so that the STCA President may be kept informed of the workings of the Trust.
7. Keep the spending of money from the Trust at a minimum for operating expenses.
8. Plan and conduct conference calls among trustees only when deemed necessary.
9. Report to the Officers and Board of the S.T.C.A. at every Board Meeting on the
progress of the Health Trust and what has been accomplished since their last meeting.
10. Propose to the Trustees or request proposals from the Trustees for such committees and consultants as necessary to do Trust projects.
11. Submit list of Health Trust Fund concerns to AKC Canine Health Foundation by annual deadline.
SOP, Health Trust Fund, STCA
SOP HTF TREASURER
"Trustees shall designate two Trustees, authorized to write checks, and the signature of both designated shall
be required to write checks on the Trust checking account, and those two Trustees shall be bonded in an amount
equal to the total value of the Trust assets. " (Trust Document, Page 4)
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE TREASURER
1. Receive all monies belonging to the Health Trust.
2. Deposit funds in a Federally insured bank, in the name of the Health Trust Fund. The
account is to be a two-party signature account, the HTF Chairperson (or Secretary) also being required to sign each check.
3. Obtain bonding for the Treasurer and Chairperson (or Secretary) in an amount determined by the Trust Document.
4. Maintain the books open for inspection of the Trustees at all times and report to the
Trustees at each meeting the condition of the finances of the Trust, both as to monies
received and monies disbursed.
5. Report the state of the finances of the Trust to the Scottish Terrier Club of America
prior to each meeting of the Board, and submit for publication In The Bagpiper. This report can be incorporated into the report of the Chairperson of the Trust to the STCA Board.
6. Periodically, at the direction of the Trustees, invest fund in any manner allowed or so
directed by the Trust Document. Verification of this shall be presented as part of the
regular report of the Treasurer.
7. Acknowledge donations upon receipt in a manner agreed upon by the Trustees. If the
donation is made in memory of or to honor another person or another person's pet,
notification of said donation shall be sent to that person, family of person or owner of
pet. Donations will be deposited in as timely a fashion as is possible.
8. List, on a quarterly basis, the individuals from whom donations have been received
and forward such list to the current editor of the Bagpiper. Said list shall include the
name of the donor and the name of the person or pet being remembered or honored.
Amounts of donations are not to be included in said listing.
9. Disburse monies at the direction of the Trustees. Administrative expenses of a routine
nature will be paid without specific directions from Trustees being required. Other
expenditures will be made only after a vote of the Trustees, and the approval of the
STCA Board of Directors. Proposals of expenditures to be presented for approval will
be done when needed, and presented first to the Trustees, and then will be sent on by
the body to the STCA Board under the direction of the HTF Chairperson.
10. Promptly reimburse for expenses only when presented with documents necessary to
substantiate the expense. These shall be original documents, with the exception of
phone bills, which may be a copy.
11. File necessary tax form in accordance with the Internal Revenue Service -Internal
Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501 (C) (3).
12. Upon election of a new Treasurer, turn over all records, monies and property of the
Trust to the new Treasurer. Participate in audit of all records as organized by the Trust
at the time of transfer of books to new Treasurer.
Revised FEB 22, 2014
SOP, Health Trust Fund, STCA
"Trustees shall elect by majority vote one of their members to serve as Chairman and one of their members to
serve as Secretary. Such chairman and Secretary shall serve for terms of one (1) year or until their
successors are elected and agree to serve. ***...the Secretary shall take and maintain minutes and all official
records of the proceedings of Trustees. "(Trust Document, Page 4)
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE SECRETARY:
1. Keep the official record of minutes and correspondence for the HTF.
2. Receive correspondence on behalf of the HTF.
3. Prepare and send letters and reports as directed by the Trustees.
4. Prepare and send notices of meetings of the Trustees at least ten days prior to each
5. Prepare a report of correspondence sent and received with copies for each Trustee
prior to each meeting of the Trustees.
6. Take and transcribe minutes of all meetings of the Trustees. Forward a copy of the
minutes to each Trustee and to the President and Corresponding Secretary of the
STCA in a timely manner. Prepare a summary of meeting minutes for publication in the Bagpiper.
7. Prepare and send information packets to each new Trustee as soon as notification is
received from STCA that new Trustees have been elected and have accepted. Packets
should consist of:
a. A copy of the Trust Document
b. Copies of the last two years' minutes
c. The most recent Treasurer's report
d. Cover letter giving any current information directed by the Trustees.
8. Annually notify the STCA Corresponding Secretary. the STCA Web site and the AKC Canine Health Foundation of the names and addresses of Trustees for the year and the names and addresses of the Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer elected by the Trustees.
Revised FEB 22, 2014
SOP, Health Trust Fund, STCA
"2.(a) The Fund shall be governed by five (5) Trustees who shall be five (5) until changed by the STCA
Board. (Note: Changed to Seven October, 1997) All Trustees shall be elected by a majority vote of the entire
STCA Board. STCA Board except for the initial Trustees elected shall elect Trustees at the special Board
meeting in October of each year, prior to the annual meeting of the Club. Three of the Trustees shall be past
or current members of the STCA Board (changed by STCA Board to one Board member, 10/5/00), and the
remaining two Trustees may be members of STCA, but shall not be required to be. As a guideline for Trustees
elected, it is recommended that three of the Trustees shall have had experience in fields in which this Trust
Fund agreement is intended to support programs, projects, and activities, and one (1) of the Trustees shall
have had experience in the field of
finance... .Successor Trustees shall serve for a term of three (3) years each or until their respective successors
are elected and agree to serve as herein provided... No Trustee shall serve more than two consecutive three-year
terms; however, at the end of one year following the two consecutive three-year terms, an individual
shall qualify to again serve as Trustee upon the same conditions. "(Trust Document, Page 2)
TRUST Something committed to one's care for use or safekeeping.
TRUSTEE 1) One who is entrusted with the property of another.
2) One of a body of persons, often elective, who hold the property and manage
the affairs of a company or institution
With these definitions in mind,
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE TRUSTEE:
1. Understand that the job should not be taken lightly; that the Health Trust Fund is a
working board and every Trustee should expect to expend considerable time on Health
Trust Fund projects. It is a job that has a growing responsibility. A candidate for the
position of Trustee must be one that has been in the breed for some time and has
considerable knowledge of the breed and the breed problems.
2. Interact with the other Trustees and consider their feelings of what needs to be done.
3. Attend meetings throughout the year. Take on whatever job, report, committee, etc.
the Chairperson deems necessary.
4. Trustees being of various parts of the country, should try and compile information,
problems, feelings, needs, etc. of the members from their part of the country, as a
representative of a total membership. The HTF should do for the breed as a whole. As
a Trustee, you are one part that makes that whole.
5. Take this information back to Trust meetings and compare it with the other Trustees to
discuss ideas and make decisions that will best benefit your objective and satisfy your
6. Come up with ideas for meaningful projects.
7. Decide with the chairman and other Trustees what his/her specific duties and
committee assignments will be.
NOTE: When taking on the job as HTF Trustee, one should not have a personal agenda
but be willing to share ideas, discuss them and, as a group, act upon them. You are
one part of a whole. NEVER ACT AS THE TRUST. NEVER SPEAK AS THE TRUST.
SOP, Health Trust Fund, STCA
SOP Publicity Chairperson
HEALTH TRUST FUND PUBLICITY CHAIRPERSON
This committee chairperson shall be responsible for getting wide coverage of news of HTF projects
to STCA members, regional Scottie clubs, Scottie owners who do not belong to STCA, AKC, the dog
world in general, veterinarians and to anyone else the HTF thinks will benefit from its information.
GENERAL DUTIES OF THE HTF PUBLICITY CHAIRPERSON:
1. Work closely with Health Trust Fund Chairman and Trustees in assembling news
2. Submit news for each issue of STCA's The Bagpiper.
3. Submit quarterly press releases for publication in the U.S. regional Scottish Terrier
newsletters as well as the Canadian Scottish Terrier Club's publication. These press
releases also will be sent to the two English national clubs, the Scottish national club,
the British regional clubs, and to any other international Scottie club we might
discover. Releases also will go to various Scottie collectibles groups, Scottie
4. Submit articles and news spots about Health Trust Fund activities to various
publications which may include:
Great Scots Magazine
Dogs in Canada
Yearbooks of the British clubs
Show Sight Magazine
Other dog magazines
STCA Internet webpages
5. Send press releases about Health Trust Fund work to the AKC Canine Health
6. Submit advertising to any publications in which HTF should decide to advertise.